Monday, March 10, 2014

FFMARCHMILES & 14.2 Recap


If you have been an avid follower of I Tri Training, you might notice a bit of an update to the space. I’ve been working on my social media presence through Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest (I have not yet given in to the requests to rejoin Facebook ). Since it is my fourth year of blogging, I wanted to change it up and hopefully draw in some new followers. I’ve benefitted tremendously from inspirational tweets and photos on Instagram and hope to share that passion with my followers. So, if you are so inclined, please join me in some or all of those forums!

Recently, I was selected to be an I’m Fit Possible Ambassador, which encourages a social fitness community. I am super excited to be a member of this awesome space for dialogue and inspiration! The next addition to my blog will be some race PRs and hopefully a race calendar. I need to commit to some 2014 races ASAP, but I want to choose them carefully so that I can put full effort into a training schedule. Some of the races I am considering are the Big Lake Half Marathon, Cape Cod Half Marathon, Pumpkinman Sprint Triathlon, Smuttynose Half Marathon (to beat last year!), and some local 5Ks. How do you select your races for the year? If you have any fantastic New England recommendations, please share in the comments section.

Finally, here is my recap of the 14.2 Crossfit Open workout. After 14.1, I was thrilled with my standing and the fact that I had even earned some points in my first round of the competition. However, 14.2 quickly humbled me. Workout 14.2 consisted of 3 minute increments for as long as possible of 2 rounds overhead squats @ 65lbs and 10 chest to bars. Each 3 minutes you increased the reps by 2 and went as long as possible. When I read the workout the day before, I knew I was in trouble. I can’t do chest to bars. I don’t know a lot of women who can (but props off to those ladies!), so that was a discouraging element. My friend Erica suggested going for the overhead squats in round 1 to at least get 10 points. Not a bad idea—it gave me some type of goal. When I went to set up for the OHS and snatched the 65lbs up, I knew it was not going to happen. This was not a move I had worked on for the past 20 weeks. Had it been a back squat, bench press, deadlift, or possibly a military press, I might have had a shot. I had to scale before the workout even began which was deflating. Nonetheless, I made it through two rounds of the scaled version (35lbs and banded chest to bars). I made an attempt, but all in all, I was very disappointed with my performance. It was awesome to cheer on some of the other athletes at White Mountain Crossfit because they crushed the workout which helped the team overall. We are currently ranked 186th in the North East region.

To date, I’ve logged 16 miles for the #FFMARCHMILES Challenge, so I’ll need to step it up over the next week to hit that target of 100 miles running or walking by March 31st.

1 comment:

  1. I am a little late to the March 100 mile party. But if there is something similar in April I'd be happy to try it. Thanks for the invite to your blog!

    ReplyDelete