Saturday, March 28, 2015

Sometimes, it is just about showing up.

I really needed to read this after the last few weeks. March has not been nearly as productive physically and mentally as January and February. Nonetheless, I have still been chipping away at my bricks and should hit 65 by the end of the month. I feel OK about where I am, but know that April is going to have to be a step up.

First, let me say that I can pinpoint exactly where I got tripped up this month. I'm responsible for my actions, yes, but sometimes bigger things come into play. For me, it was the time change. Most people do not thrive during the hours of 5AM-9AM; however, I do. I want light during those hours, not at 7PM when I've lost drive to workout or do any work. As soon as it was pitch dark again in the mornings, I found myself dragging. Despite two months of constant early morning cardio, that time switch threw me off.

Then, I got sloppy with my food choices. Not every day, but more than 20% of the time. A snack here, a chai latte there, and boom 5lbs back + less energy. I know the signs and should be able to stop, but in missing the gym (and those who make me feel more accountable), I faltered. It was not a total failure--just not what I expect or need to maintain my goals.

Next, my little brother came to visit from Wisconsin. It was awesome to have him here and I still got to the gym quite a bit as it was a "staycation" for me. But of course we dined out a lot and I gave myself permission because how often do I get to have week off? When he left, I planned to jump back into a regular routine, and then BAM!--I was pummeled with a virus. I was out four days straight from the gym and survived on soup, OJ, gingerale, popsicles, and crackers. These were not exactly nourishing items, but old habits die hard.

Finally, Friday morning, I woke up being able to breathe a bit and not feeling as lethargic. It was the day I would show up to Crossfit IronBorn. Unfortunately, it was 15.5 workout day. 15.5 consisted of thrusters and rowing--yuck! I did not chicken out--I made a decision to go and just lift lighter weights. It was a pathetic workout. I dropped 10-15lbs off what I should have been doing, but I made it through those doors. I often hear people say why bother showing up if you are not going to give it your all? I say that is garbage. Each day, each week, and each situation is different. I needed to just show up on Friday and give something. I knew it would not be my best (or even close), but I got out of bed, left the house, and surrounded myself with motivating people. And you know what? I showed up again today for my morning spinning class at Storms. After that, I texted someone in town to schedule a run for tomorrow morning...see the pattern? Show up--even if it isn't going to be the race or workout of a lifetime. It will make a difference.

~Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment