Sunday, July 10, 2011

Waterville Valley Weekend



Week 17 was a taper week before the Black Fly International Triathlon. Friday night, Mark and I met up in Waterville Valley and registered for our races. Mark competed in the 3 day Lord of the Flies competition, so I was there to cheer him (and the S2 crew) on in the time trial bike race on Friday night. The weather was iffy, but the rain stayed at bay. However, during the middle of the night, it poured! I was so bummed thinking that our race the next day was going to be a washout. Mother Nature was kind yet again and the rain stopped; the sun came out for the race. We left early in the morning from our hotel to get set up in transition. Mark had a much earlier start than I did in the swim, but I had time to wake up and hang out with Colleen who competed in her first international distance triathlon! Then, it was time to race...

First up, the swim. After my near DNF experience at Mooseman, I was a little leary of the swim. It is soooo annoying as the swim had previously been my strong event. It seems I have a bit of a mental block going on right now with that. Anyway, this swim went better than Mooseman, but it still was nothing to write home about. I actually was a minute slower than last year and I still had some moments of panic where I had to just slow to catch my breath. But, I did finish and it was in 8:12.

Next up, the bike. I have practiced on this course before, but I guess one more ride might have been helpful. I took off strong in the beginning knowing the course was difficult in the second half. I maintained a 20.4 mph average for the first half which is quite good for me. Unfortunately, the long flats, and gradual uphill of the second part took my average down to 16.3. I thought this was still pretty good, but apparently, I did better on this part last year as well. Maybe I went faster last year because it was raining and I wasn't taking any time to enjoy the course :) Oh well, I did pick up some speed in the end for a strong finish in the last quarter mile.

The transition from bike to run was relatively fast (especially considering I had to make a quick trip to the loo!) and I set off for the 5 mile run with my legs feeling pretty good. In retrospect, I probably could have pushed more, but I have been dealing with some digestive issues and I also had a side stitch that I did not want to make worse. I averaged 9:55 on the run, but I definitely was looking for a lower 9 minute mile average.

Overall, it was a 2:20:03 finish for me this year. I had a really fun time at the race, so maybe I relaxed too much. I always say I am doing it just to finish, but I think I'd like to pick it up next year! Maybe I'll even try the whole Lord of the Flies competition. It was great to be able to cheer on all the S2 team members, Colleen, and my boyfriend! Congratulations to all of the participants in the Black Fly 2011 :)

Taper Week (17) Workouts:
Monday- Rest
Tuesday- Bike 45 minutes
Wednesday- 20 minute swim/20 minute run
Thursday- 10 minute swim/20 minute bike
Friday- Rest
Saturday- RACE!
Sunday- REST :)

1 comment: