Sunday, May 8, 2011

Big Lake Half Marathon Week



Week 8 culminated in the Big Lake Half Marathon on Saturday, May 7th. That meant that most of the week was TAPER and I thoroughly enjoyed the taper. However, I was very nervous going into the race because I was so sick last week, and I still had a bit of the sniffles. Race day I felt ready though; Mark and I headed up the Alton Bay around 6am to do a quick warmup jog and registration. I started the race right next to him, but knew he would be out of my sight pretty fast! I always tell him that I will see him at the finish line! Anyway, throughout the first 7-8 miles of the race I felt pretty good with the exception of a minor blister that formed on the side of my inner arch. My breathing felt normal and my legs seemed to have a good rhythm. I actually applied some of Kara Goucher's technique suggestions that I really felt benefitted me. I actually thought I had a chance of beating my time from last year--2:03:46, average of 9:27 and place #504! I'm not sure if I started too slow or if I lost a ton of time from mile 8-10, but by mile 10 I realized I would have to do 7 min miles for the rest of the race to PR and that just wasn't going to happen...I might have been able to push out 8 min miles, but 7 was not realistic. I think this really bummed me out and I just didn't put very much effort in at this point until the last 1/4 mile. I ended up finishing with a time of 2:08, average of 9:47, and placed 507. I guess I am happy that I beat my time from 2 previous half marathons (Seacoast Half in 2006, and Big Lake in 2004), but I definitely am disappointed that I did not PR or reach my goal of under 2 hours. I will try to see if I can find another half in the fall to see if I can beat the 2:03 time. Nevertheless, considering how sick I was last week, I don't think it was a total disaster.

Next on the agenda is the Mooseman International Triathlon on June 4th! I will be picking up the training again this week to prepare for that event.

Week 8 workouts:

Monday-30 minute swim / 10 mile bike ride/ 35 min P90X yoga
Tuesday- 3 mile run
Wednesday- Pilates video
Thursday- 20 minute run
Friday- OFF
Saturday- Big Lake Half Marathon!
Sunday- 20 minute recovery swim

1 comment: