Sunday, May 1, 2011

April Reflections



April was not an easy month for me. In fact, it was one of the worst months in memory. However, what I do know is that training is what helped me get through this difficult time. Training kept my head clear where it might otherwise have been very cloudy. Knowing that I had a long run kept me from sitting on the sofa feeling sorry for myself. Early morning swim practice kept me from staying out late after working at my second job. There were many negative coping mechanisms that I could have turned to, but I didn't because of my training goals. This is something I am so grateful for. I am also very grateful for the compassionate and caring people in my life: my family, boyfriend, friends, workout buddies, and co-workers have been fantastic. So now, finally, it is May 1st. It is a new month and it has been a great day. I started to clear up from a nasty virus that pretty much destroyed me this week. This morning I went for a 7 mile run. It was sunny; I could finally breathe again, so my run time improved from my previous lackluster runs. Next weekend is the Big Lake Half Marathon--I should be back to form if I taper well this week.

On a different note...I forgot to send congratulations to my sorority sisters and friends who ran in the Boston Marathon! Ellen, JoEllen, Kim, and Chris--you all are incredible and should be so proud of this major accomplishment! An additional shoutout to the amazing Kara Goucher. Kara graduated from my high school, Duluth East, and is an incredible Olympic and marathon runner. She was the 5th overall woman at Boston! I just purchased her book and I have already read several useful tips about running. Even though Kara graduated a few years ahead of me (and I could barely run a mile in high school), I find her to be such an inspiration.

Finally, even though it was a difficult month for our family, we did have a very exciting event. My little brother, Alex, turned 16 on the April 28th...and he passed his driving test! Now he can drive himself to all of his swim practices, and after school activities! Congratulations Alex!

Week 7 was a weak training period for me due to a nasty cold/flu virus. Obviously swimming is difficult when you can't breathe so that took the biggest hit. I tried to still get in as much running as I could since I have the half marathon next Saturday. Here is what I managed to get through:

Monday- 45 minute spin workout (very limited effort)
Tuesday- REST (I was pretty weak)
Wednesday- Pilates video/ 15 minute P90X Ab Ripper (so hard!)
Thursday- Barely pushed myself through a 3.8 mile "jog"
Friday- 2.2 mile run / 20 minutes yoga
Saturday- 17 mile bike ride (I was finally starting to feel human again)
Sunday- 7 mile run

Next week is taper week. I love taper! It is a good week for taper because it looks like it will be raining quite a bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment