Saturday, March 10, 2012

Week #7


"The principle is competing against yourself. It’s about self-improvement, about being better than you were the day before."
-Steve Young

The halfway point in the transformation challenge is finally here! So far, this challenge has improved many facets of my life. I get up every weekday around 5 and head to the gym. Because I am getting that morning workout in, my productivity at my job is much higher--hence opportunity to grow professionally. With dedicated times for crossfit, boot camp, and yoga I have no excuses to miss a workout which gives me the "me time" necessary for positive work/life balance. And of course, a general perk, my physique continues to get better every week!

Recently, I read a post by someone who said crossfit was "like a cult" where people take themselves "too seriously." This struck a bit of a nerve with me at first because it was such broad generalization about the sport. Then, I had to take into account that maybe this person had a bad experience at a particular gym, or is just generally misguided about the sport. Of course, there probably are extreme gyms--just like there are extreme religions, extreme parents, and pretty much anything that can become extreme. I can think of many people (myself included) who take themselves too seriously in some aspect of their lives. Nonetheless, crossfit it is not one of those areas where I take myself very seriously--how could I? Compared to other people at my gym, I am a wimp ;-) But I don't mind--because the goal is personal improvement and pushing through a difficult task to achieve things I never thought possible.

When I go to WMC, I am immediately welcomed by friendly people who genuinely are interested in how my week is going or how I am doing with my goals. It is not a pretentious environment where you are judged--it is the opposite. Also, people are always laughing or shouting out words of encouragement. This is not something you find at your everyday gym. Do friendly people who motivate you constitute a cult? I have trained with a great group of triathletes with S2 and practice yoga with supportive people at Quest yoga--does that make those groups cults as well? Here is a great article by a woman who works out at White Mountain Crossfit. "There's a Crossfit Gym in Concord?". Anyway, if being around people who work hard and treat each other with respect is a cult, then I am OK with that! I can think of far worse things I could be involved in. Perhaps if more people in this country were involved in something like this, we would not be a society plagued by obesity, depression, and fear. However, I understand that crossfit is not for everyone, but find that hobby or focus that gives you time to be introspective and focused on you.

We always make time for work, family, and friends, but find that outlet that is only for you. As someone who was a public servant (aka public school teacher) for seven years, I know how easy it was to get caught up in doing things for everyone else. It was all about the students, parents, administration, etc...this list goes on. After leaving the field, I finally found that work/life balance and crossfit has only served to add to that balance.

Week 7 Workouts:

Monday-AM Walking/ AM Xfit (Press, G Row & Squats)
Tuesday-AM Swim/ PM Xfit (conditioning)
Wednesday- Elliptical/Walking/Lunch walk
Thursday- AM Swim/Lunch run/PM yoga
Friday- AM elliptical and walk/ Lunch boot camp/ PM Xfit (Press, G Row, Deadlift & mobility)
Saturday- AM elliptical/walk
Sunday- Rest

Fasted Cardio Days- 6
Perfect Bricks-6 = 42 bricks!
Pushups = 300 (5 sets of 10 for 6 days)

No comments:

Post a Comment